Before I start telling you about my day, I have to put pictures of Zina as I think the picture I put up didn't do her justice. So here is Zina at her best. But I will have better pictures when I get her back in a few weeks. I have a little Christmas hat for her.
So let me tell you about my day. First of all I had nightmares. I had dreams about me not being at the ceremonies on time and falling. But morning came and I got up, had breakfast, my usual toast and nutella. I went to Vimy to pick up the wreaths and followed the maps on how to get there. I had plenty of time but I wanted to make sure that I wasn't late. So I get there and wait.....and wait....then I call Andre because I was the only one there. I thought OK this is really going to be a private ceremony. I'm by myself. Who will see me laying the wreaths. Andre said don't worry Louise, they'll be there. And finally they arrived. Lots of people. I met British Legionnaire that asked if it was OK to take pictures of me while I was laying a wreath. Like....ya ...all you want. I had worn my legs and my hair was done, so take pictures but just make sure that the wind is coming the right way for my hair. Then Monsieur the Mayor arrived with his entourage and he came right to me. Must be the uniform and the big CANADA on the front that gave me away. He said you will walk with me and we will lay the wreaths together. The Porte drapeaux people arrived and everyone got into place. I was so proud. I held on to my wreath and walked straight and it was as if I could hear my mother say, Loulou, head high, shoulders back. This was wreath No. 1. After this, Monsieur the Mayor said now we go to the Monument des Morts so I followed the cars and we went into the town of Vimy. There I got the surprise of my life. I had wreath No. 2 and this gentleman took it from me and he already had my name on his list. Imagine, my name was on a list in France. As long as it wasn't on a hit list, it was OK. He said I will call your name and you will walk with Monsieur the Mayor to the Monument. The band started marching up the street and we got in line. All of a sudden, the same gentleman went to the microphone and that is where I heard it.....Louise Webster, representing Canada....and I walked, legs and all with my wreath and placed it at the foot of the Monument. I took two steps back alongside Monsieur the Mayor, paused, turned around and walked back. Ah the feeling, the rush, the adrenaline, it was a touching moment. Then another surprise, we got in line, I was in the front with Monsieur le Maire and the music started and we followed the band down the street. How cool was that. Now I had been in a marching band at the tender age of 25 where we marched in Toronto during the Grey Cup Parade. Yes, me. I did it all. I played the saxophone. So much about me you don't know. Anyway, today was even better. It was beyond better. I was walking representing my Country. Before we started to walk, I had told Monsieur the Mayor that I could not go to the reception as I had another ceremony to attend. Ya, me, two ceremonies. Everybody wanted me. Must be the legs. There was a Gendarmerie there and as I was walking to my car (well it's not really mine) he said, Madame are you going to the ceremony in Neuville Saint-Vaast. I said yes. I was then escorted by the Gendarmerie to my next ceremony. Ha, little loulou, bird, louweasel was being escorted. Well I wasn't really escorted, he was going also so he said that I could follow him. I'll stick to being escorted. We get there and Monsieur the Mayor of Neuville was waiting for me. He said, you will walk with me. I'm telling you, these new legs, they are worth alot. The same thing happened, I laid wreath No. 3 and continued on to the reception as I was invited. I mingled with everyone. They asked if I was from Quebec, I said no as usual, then I explained where Prince Edward Island was and they didn't know but asked how far was it from Quebec. What's with Quebec. Everyone was so nice to me and they all said oh we love Canadians. We are cousins. I was on cloud nine. After about 45 minutes, I went to see Monsieur the Mayor and thanked him for inviting me. He said, we always love to have Canada represented at our Ceremony. Thank you very much for coming.
What a day. It was a memorable day. I couldn't have been prouder to be a Canadian. Oh and they played O Canada and I was the only one that knew all the words and I sang it loud. To be working at Veterans Affairs for the last 32 years, and here I was, standing on the same ground that so many soldiers fought in World War 1. It couldn't get much better. I went back to Vimy and talked with colleagues and then I drove home. But on my way home, I stopped at the German Cemetery. We go by it every day on our way to Vimy. I just couldn't drive by without stopping and paying my respect to soldiers that had also fought and died. They were somebody's sons and I am a mother. I walked through the cemetery, touched a few crosses and said a prayer. Coming out, I met a couple from Nova Scotia. We chatted for a bit. They retired last year and the lady said that her wish after retirement was to come to Vimy on November 11th for the ceremony. They had enjoyed it very much and then to put the icing on the cake, they asked if I knew how to get to the Newfoundland Memorial Site of Beaumont-Hamel. Funny you should ask I said, that is the site that I work at. I gave them the directions for their GPS (hopefully they will get there as you all know my reputation regarding directions. Apparently I get lost)...They will be going tomorrow.
So today, I had a great time. It was a great day. It was a memorable day. It was a day that I'll never forget. November 11, 2011 at 11:00, I was there and I had you all in my heart.
Quell bell journée! Nous sommes fiers de toi.
ReplyDeleteOops, je voulais dire "belle" journée!
ReplyDeleteOops encore!! Mes doigts ne savent plus comment taper! "Quelle belle" journée!
ReplyDeleteTrès impressionnante journée. Merci bird.
ReplyDelete