Monday, 14 November 2011

The Fog

Friday evening, 6:00 p.m. I come out of the Visitor Centre.  Not a soul around, or was there.  It was dark and I could not see 2 feet in front of me.  One light is all I had and in the distance, the Caribou, high on its rock.  It felt as if I was in a horror movie.  Not a sound, just me and the FOG.  How was I going to make it to the car.  How was I going to make it home.  I couldn't see in front of me, I didn't have a flashlight.  I felt like I was the only person left on earth.  Who was going to find me if I didn't make it.  I walked slowly dragging my feet.  At least it would leave a trace.   People would see that I tried.  I wasn't sure if I was going towards the Cabane or Saint-Johns' Road Trench or the highway.  I managed to make it to the road but could I cross it without being hit.  I listened, carefully.  I crossed.  I couldn't see the Galloper but I knew I was in the parking.  I found it.  Who was out there and who was going to get me. Was someone hiding under the car and would a hand grab me by the ankle.  I did not know.  My breathing was getting heavier.  All I could think is find the key Bird, just find the key.  Found it, unlocked the door and jumped in, locked the doors.  I felt safer now but I still couldn't see anything.  I started the car, turned on the lights.  It was a bit better but my vision was not at its best.  All I could see was white.  Remember, I just have one eye.  A car went by and stopped.  I backed up, got out of the parking lot.  The car started to moved ahead of me slowly.  I could see the red tail lights.  I think they saw that I was scared.  I followed it.  The lenght of 2 cars, that's all I could see.  I drove 20 km/hr. I contemplated staying and sleeping in the car, going back to the Site or just to continue a little further and see. Not one street light until I got out of Auchonvillers.  On the dark, desert highway, it was me against the FOG.  The other car was gone, disappeared. I knew I had to go TOUT DROIT, GO STRAIGHT, because everything in France is TOUT DROIT.  This could be a horror movie but I tell you for 20 minutes, I felt like I was in one.  Finally when I got to Bucquoy, it was a bit better.  Nobody told me that it was foggy in France.  Today, I was given a flashlight for those evenings.  I'm leaving early now.  No staying after 5:00.  This morning at 10:00 driving to work it was foggy.  Here are a few pictures.  Among the trees is a house and you couldn't see it this morning.  Today's fog was nothing compared to Friday night at 6:00.




Allen and Natasha are arriving Wednesday.  It will be nice to see them and to see Tash's impression of France.  We will do a bit of travelling, probably day trips.  The Christmas market will open on Nov 24th so Allen will have a chance to see it before he leaves.  Oh and I can't wait for him to see my 70 euros hems.  I must put a picture of my plain, brown, cotton, damn drapes.

Well not much to report today.  I skyped with Rachelle tonight.  She told me of 3 friends that she lost in the last week.  One of them being mine.  It's hard to understand why things happen to good people or to anyone.  Life is a mystery.  Lise, I facetimed you but no answer.  I'll try again tomorrow.  I received a few emails about my blog and thank you for your comments.  I enjoy them very much.  Thank you Marie  It's always nice hearing from you.  Karen, I enjoy your comments on facebook.  I know you hate it that you can't comment on my blog.  I don't know why.  Only a few can.  However, you can always email me.   Anyone having Christmas parties at work, tell me where and when.  I'm always up for a good time.  I'm going to try to send Christmas cards but they'll be french and if by Dec 24th you haven't received one, I'd lose hope.  It probably means that you're not going to get one.  Only kidding.  If I have your address, you will get one.  If you don't, I still love ya.



No comments:

Post a Comment