Sunday, 8 January 2012

Staying alive....

I'm the queen.  Was there ever any doubt.  January 6 is the Epiphany - Fête des rois.  Here in France it is celebrated with Gâteau des rois  (King's cake).  So Friday at work, André brought 2 cakes and the tradition is, is that there is a little bean hidden in the cake.  Why they call it a bean, I'm not sure but if your piece of cake (OK, it's like an apple pie) has that little bean, it means that you are the King and you put it in your wallet and you'll never be short of money.  Guess who one.  ME and it wasn't fixed either.  I'm just glad that I didn't bite on it because it's made of ceramic.  I also got to wear the crown all day.  Here are pictures.



I know some of you are going to ask, was the crown in the cake, NO. It comes with the cake.

Friday night, I joined André, Christi, Louise and Bob for supper at this duck place.  No way I was eating duck.  Ducks belong in the water not on a plate.  Louise and I had steak but the rest had duck.  Poor thing.  His mother probably misses her little ducks.  Bob did convince me to try a piece of his duck and low and behold, I liked it.  Next time I'm having duck.  Too bad mama duck but it's not like I know you or anything.

Then we went to Karaoke.  Now that was entertaining.  The place was full but this little old man, quite old, was sitting alone and was wanting me to join him.  I didn't want to break his heart.  At his age, it could be dangerous, so I sat down.  Once I told him I was Canadian and that my friends were Canadians, he shook my hand and was all excited.  Anyway, I didn't sit down long, they found us a table and the fun began.  It was this guy's birthday (31 yrs - I know this because I asked) and everyone at their table had wigs on and all wore Thongs over their jeans. Shinny, silver and gold thongs.  We were looking for songs that we knew.  Most of them were french and I didn't know them.  Then Bob decides that he has to use the bathroom so there he goes.  At the same time, birthday boy and his 2 other friends get up and start dancing.  Bob comes out and they take him and he starts dancing with them plus someone gave him a silver thong and he puts it on his head and dances with the other guys.  I'm telling you that man has moves.  Funny though, all week he said he had a bad knee and all of a sudden, there goes dandy long legs dancing up a storm.  Finally, they put the song Staying Alive and gives us 2 microphones.  Well that was just enough for me to get up and sing.  I'm still trying to figure out why Christi, André, Louise or Bob didn't come with me.  They fed me to the wolves.  Good thing other people joined me on the dance floor, not that I remember because I was dancing, doing the moon walk, not sure what else.  Then they decided to do the dance where everyone takes the person shoulders and follow.  Well how it happened I do not know, but all of a sudden I was the first one in front and everyone at the club except 4 people were following.  We were heading outside but the bartendar was saying, no come back, come back.  I tell you, we closed the place down at 1:15 am and when we left, they were saying Vive les Canadiens, Vive les Canadiens.  I was afraid that Bob and I would be on YouTube the next day.  It was such great fun and Louise and Bob are very awesome.  I would like to say COOL but Marla is cool might be offended.  They left yesterday but I hope we keep in touch because they sure are fun to be around.

Today I am sick with the flu.  Apparently in the newspaper, it says that the Nord-Pas de Calais (where I am) has the most cases in France this flu season.  A few hours ago, I thought it would do me good to go to the Carrefour Express to get a few things.  I felt kind of weak so I didn't have the energy to get fully dressed so I only did the bottom.  The coat hid my pyjama top.

I bought a table at IKEA and I put it all together.  I couldn't put all the screws in because I wasn't strong enough even with the holes already in it but it seems sturdy enough.  Works for me.  I can always use extra screws because I have a few loose in my head.  No, only kidding.  Now if the landlord can come and get the bar, I'll be all set.  Princess Zina is with me for a week.  Here she is making sure that I have all the right pieces at the right place.



Claire, thank you so much for the lovely gifts.  Friday I worked at Vimy and I get a call from the girls at Beaumont-Hamel saying that a parcel had arrived.  They know how I get excited so they were shaking it, telling me they knew what was inside and saying, ah you will not get it before Tuesday.  That is how they treat me.  No respect.  Only kidding.  However, Arlene (God bless you) brought it to me yesterday.  I think that she was as curious as me to see what was inside. There is everything in there.  Take a look.  Claire planned it that way so that I would have something when I came back.  We can't tell Berthe because Claire and I can only be friends through Berthe so when she signs, she has to put Berthe's sister and your friend in the 2nd degree.


Time to call it a night.  I'll have a little bit of chicken noodle soup.  That always hits the spot and then going to bed.  So hope everyone had a great week-end.  I certainly did and am so glad that I met Louise and Bob.  I think Bob (not the furry one) might be from the same planet as me, because we like to have a good time.  Louise is a gem and she has hair that I want, the cut that I want, the colour that I want.  I am so jealous, not ready but I love your hair.

Hugs to everyone.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, my gosh! Karaoke night was so much fun. Do your friends & family know that you're a dancing machine, who can sing Bee Gee songs? It was great to meet you! I enjoy following your blog and now I'm in it...imagine that!Hope you're feeling better soon. Happy blogging! Louise
    P.S. Yes, I do have great hair ;)but it's because of my stylist...and Bob's wondering why you didn't mention his hair style?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Bob, I love your long hair that was just bouncing around while you were dancing. Oh wait, that was the other guy. I think that you have such a beautiful head and face that hair would only take that away from you. Plus it must be cheaper than Louise going to the hairdresser. See the things you do for her just so she can go and spend money to get a beautiful hair cut. ha ha

    ReplyDelete