Wednesday, 15 May 2013

Had a great time with Philippe and Becky...

Ah it was so nice to have family here.  When they arrived, I was out doing errands and didn't know what time they were arriving.  So I did 3 bags of groceries and headed home.  Once in my little courtyard, I was dragging those bags and having a hard time.  I made it up one flight of stairs and my neighbors door opened.  I thought, ah she saw me in the window and coming to help me.  I stood my her door and said hi.  Now I don't know my neighbors.  Everyone left and I am the only original tenant left.  So I think that she is going to help me with my groceries and all of a sudden, Becky walks out.  For 10 seconds, I had no clue where I was, Becky was there looking at me.  I was like in another dimention.  What in the name of God was Becky doing there.  Well, because I wasn't home, they were locked out so Becky rang every buzzer she could until someone answered.  They let her in and she was able to use their computer to try to send me a message.  What a weird feeling.  When I asked where Philippe was, well he was already at the Black Jack with all the luggage meeting people.  I introduced them to everybody I knew, whether at work or at bars.  Philippe loves life and loves everyone in it.  He is an inspiration and a breath of fresh air.  Becky figured out my oven and you would be proud of me Becky, I have used it twice since you left.  She cooked, she cleaned and we drank wine together.  Now Becky decided to leave me little post-it notes all over the apartment.  I am still finding some.  I am doing a collection then I will take a picture.  I was wondering where my little post-it pad was.  I think she used the whole thing. 

We rented a car and went to Vimy and Beaumont-Hamel.  I drove, first time in my life that I rent a car, manuel if you please and I was the driver.  Philippe and Becky gave me good tips so I will keep practicing.  We went to Benjamin's baptism and met all of Melissa's family.  They are a hoot.  A real hoot.  I love them.  I had met Greg's family before and they are still as nice as I remembered, and of course Benjamin was the cutest little man there.

Since then, the Winter guides 2013 left.  They were my first ever 15 guides that I supervised alone.  You never forget your first time.  They had a party and invited me and they gave me such beautiful gifts.  They made me cry.  They made me cry often that crew.  I got a Longchamps red purse, a gigantic glass mug and they all signed it, a basket with all sorts of thing to take of myself like cream, nail polish and the ultimate gift was a photo album but instead of putting pictures, they all wrote an individual card with the most beautiful notes on them and put them in every page where you would usually have a picture.  I read 2 the first night when I got home and I couldn't go any further.  They have touched me.  They were there for me whenever I needed them and did I ever need them.  Their last day of work was very hard on everyone.  Tears were on everyone's face.  I will never forget that last day because I was just informed today that I got a speeding ticket.  I was making my way from having said goodbye to the Vimy guides to see the Beaumont-Hamel guides and I wanted to make sure that I saw them before they left.  The radar got me.  This is the first time in MY LIFE that I ever got a speeding ticket and I got in in France, even better.  It's all part of my experience here.   I will put it on the fridge.

Yesterday we had a little ceremony.  Everyone has been working so hard, long hours but everything went well.  I had today off so believe it or not, I slept until noon, then from 2:00 to 5:00.  I think that I was exhausted.  My body isn't moving as fast as it used to be but the important thing is that I still have the mind of a 20 year old.  OK slightly immature but this is what keeps me young.

I am looking at adding a four legged animal to my apartment.  I sent the picture to Mirjam first to see what she thought.  She wants me to get it.  She's a silver one year old purebred British Shorthair little lady.  I am going to see her tomorrow.  If we bond, she might just have a new home.  I haven't told Minime yet.  I might ask Kevin to break it to her gently.  Get her an extra treat or something.  I'm hoping that this one likes to get dressed up.  I've pretty well always had black cats but if her and Minime get along, they could be called Ebony and Ivory....or not.
 


So this is it for tonight.  See if I can't put any more pictures for you.





It's canola oil season again.  Sure is nice driving to work in the morning.  Pretty soon it will be poppy season.  Always so special.




1 comment:

  1. So enjoyed being with you in Arras and meeting all your co-workers and friends. It was definitely a memorable and wonderful visit.
    So glad you didn't have a cat while I was there but wish you well in finding the right one for you now.
    Lots of love,

    Becky

    ReplyDelete