The first Sunday the girls were here we all went to Visit Vimy Ridge. You cannot come from so far away, work for Veterans Affairs and NOT go see Vimy. They were impressed. They got a guided tour, that's what happens when you have pull ... kidding. On Monday, I was off as it was Turkey Day so we drove to Ghent, or Gent or Gant in Belgium whichever way you want to spell it, it's all the same place. It's a beautiful place, we visited the castle and the torture room. This could give me ideas if I didn't like people. You might want to stay on my good side. We walked around and it was pouring. Not a good thing but we found, sorry Stephanie (the brain of the organization) found cheap unbrellas so we bought 2. We then continued to Ypres, still in Belgium to attend the Menim Gate ceremony. The Last Post.
They also visited Beaumont-Hamel where I work and got a guided tour there also. Allen didn't go on the tour as he feels he is almost part of the furniture at BH. He's been there quite a few time but still loves the site. Later during the week, they went to Dieppe. Problem here. They go to Dieppe and I don't. I have not been there yet. Work is getting in my way.....
The girls did get their exercise though by just going up and down my 3 flights of stairs. You really have to be in shape to come and visit me. Those stairs give you quite a work-out. By the time they went up and down a few times, the 2 couches felt pretty good to them.
So everybody left on Sunday, the girls to Paris and Allen and I to London. I had a personal investigator on the plane Stephanie and Paula took, that told me they made it home. It's good to have people in high places, even if they are from Penetanguishene. Don't worry if you can't pronounce it. It took me awhile. Apparently a very nice little place near Georgian Bay in Ontario. I will be visiting it next summer......
What a great time in London that Allen I had. We flew from Paris CDG airport to London Heathrow. At least there Allen could speak the language, however why is it alway me that asks for information. Oh ya, I forgot, men do not ask for directions or information. The flight took 1 1/2 hour but it took us 4 hours to get to our hotel. Oh ya, 2 1/2 from Heathrow to Watford Junction where our hotel was, then at the train station we walked 1 km the wrong way. It said on the map that the hotel was 0.1 km from the train station, but instead of going right, we went left. Then an hour later, this nice man saw that we were lost. He said, oh my, you're completely in the wrong part of town. So we went back to the train station and right there, to its side, up in the air, the sign Holiday Inn Express. But hey, I love to walk...NOT and Allen even less. But all in all it was a good thing because we discovered a great little city with nice stores so we went back a few days later to investigate. I bought some Christmas gifts for people that were on the NICE list. Sorry, people on the NAUGHTY list, I wouldn't hold my breath. Only kidding.
We did lots, the London Eye, Tower of London, Picadilly Circus (our favorite place), Buckingham Palace. I didn't have tea with the Queen as I don't drink tea. We went everywhere. Hop on Hop off, Westminster Abbey, St Pauls. Pubs, China Town, Gay bars. Sometimes, we just didn't know where we would end up but met real nice people.
I must tell you a little something about Allen. He is taking all these new vitamins and one in particular he says is really good for memory. He can concentrate better, remembers things and his memory is so much better. In London, he only forgot our suitcases 3 times. Just imagine what it would be like if he didn't take those pills. Good thing I was there to pick them up. I would say, Allen did you forget something. He's be walking ahead of me and I was there pulling his suitcase and mine, his sleep apnea machine and my tote bag. He'd say no, why. Well what about your bags. Oh shit, that 's right, Twice he left them on the side of the road. Yup, I really think that I should start taking those vitamins too. Seems to work perfectly. NOT...
We went to see the Harry Potter Experience at Universal where they filmed the 10 years of Harry Potter. I thought of everyone that love Harry Potter but especially Gladys. Got a little something for you Gladys. I'll put it in the mail.
Well now it's back to the routine. I'm alone and the next visitors to come are Lise and Gordon. They'll be here for Christmas. I won't be here but I'll put up my little Christmas tree and leave gifts for them under the tree.
I really wished that I could post pictures, but I'll be going out and buying a cord so stay tune.
On a sad note, André is leaving in a couple of weeks and I'll be flying solo. I'm very excited that he'll be finding his Christi, who I miss very much. They have been so good to me since I'm here. Christi with her sweet smile and wise words and André my sidekick, my mentor, my great friend. I will miss him alot. Who will I go out for a beer with.
So I leave you with this and will post pictures as soon as I can.
Bisous
Great update. Christmas presents for us under the tree? Oh goody! Can't wait. But wait, that means we'll have to bring some to your house in C'town! No problem! Fall is here, no doubt about it! Foggy in Emyvale today. Having a lazy evening, doing a bit of hand appliqué and watching tv. Talk to you later this week.
ReplyDeleteDear Louise,
ReplyDeleteI feel your sorrow about missing Andre (soon) and Christi! But...I'm so happy to have them close to home again. I feel connected to you because of Andre and Christi...and now Bob and...Allen....even though Allen's vitamins are not really working. You're welcome to stay with us when you visit beautiful Penetanguishene and Georgian Bay next summer. Looking forward to seeing you again!
Best wishes...and keep on blogging!
Ontario Louise