Tuesday, 17 February 2015

The journey continues...

It has been such a long time since my last blog that it took me 2 days to figure out how to get back in and my login info.  But here I am.  People have been asking why I wasn't writing my blog anymore and I really don't have a reason except for the fact that I really don't think that it is that interesting for people to read it.  However, for my own sake and in order for me not to forget this wonderful experience, I will write more often.

So my last blog was June 2014 and since then alot has happened I'm sure but I just don't remember.  It's an age thing.  Let me see....I went to Charlottetown last Summer and had company.  My brother Marc and Hélène came to visit and I think we had a BBQ.  Then I went to Campbellton to see my brother Philippe and Becky and Marc and Hélène were also there.   We had a big supper so Marc and Hélène could meet all the family.  I'm sure wine and beer were involved.  No really, my brain is not what it used to be.  That could be a good thing though.  My sister Diane and Ken came over to France for a visit and we went to Nuremberg to see Mirjam and her family.  The weather was beautiful.  We drove there in my little car.  It was a wonderful trip even if we put gas instead of diezel, we hit a pylon on the autobahn and it broke the mirror and we lost a hubcap.  Hey, we got there and back.

I went home for Christmas and I am starting to remember a bit more.  I remember getting more gifts than Kevin.  Allen was here from January 31 and left this past Sunday.  We went to Venice and Rome.  Venice is amazing and Gravol became my best friend.  People told me that you travel by boat but I couldn't visualize it.  It was also the Carnival and everyone was in costume.  I wanted to get dressed up but Allen didn't want to be Spiderman.  He doesn't like the tights.  They are too snug he says.  Hahahah.   Here are a few pictures of Venice.  Oh and I fed pigeons.  They flew right on me. 











Then we took the train to Rome and guess what.....I SAW THE POPE in person.  We were walking around St-Peter's square and there was a big crowd so as always, I have to know what is going on.  I asked a police officer and he was pretty useless.  He grunted a few words but a nice lady beside him said, the Pope is there.  Every Wednesday there is an audience.  Well it didn't take me long to spin around and go tell Allen, the good United Church person that he is.  And there was the Pope, all dressed in white and waving.  I know that he was waving to me.  Never mind the other 1000 people that were there.  He saw me 1000 meters away and he waved.  I blushed.....and then he said:  Oh Louisa, iti so nissa to see you againi.  Whya you waita so longi to coma and see me.  He to spoke Italian to me.  OK he really didn't talk to me, actually he didn't talk to me at all but in my head he did.  Allen took pictures and then the Pope got into the Popemobile (not as cool as the Batmobile) and he waved again.  This was the highlight for me.  Being that I am trying out for Sainthood, now I think that I am closer.  We also went ot the Colliseum....twice as Allen really loved it.  He told me the night we arrived in Rome, and I quote:  if I can live through the night, tomorrow I will see the Colliseum.  Poor thing, I didn't know he was living just for that.  I would have bought him a book of it.  We saw lots of great things and we went all out and ate fine italian cuisine.  Pizza, spaghetti (I never know who to spell it), fettuccine.  I think that I am pretty fluent in Italian.  I just added an i,a or o at the of each word and there you have it.  Before going to Venice and Rome, I had googled WHAT NOT TO DO when you are a tourist.  Well we failed at everything.  They saw us coming.  We had our own private tour of the Sixtine Chapel and instead of costing us 16 euros each, we paid 41 euros each PLUS, I didn't understand a word that our guide said because she was Italian.  Somebody at the Colliseum handed me a sword and crown and I was so touched that she wanted to take my picture.....and it cost me and if one more person comes to me and asks if I want to buy a scarf (ok I bought one) or a selfie stick (we didn't), I will hit them in the knees.  Fools we are.














Well I guess this is enough for tonight.  I keep looking at the pictures of all the snow there is at home and I feel bad for all of you.  Stay safe.






1 comment:

  1. I will try this again. Don't know if my first comment went through. You did see the Pope. I thought you were just putting us on when you first said it. But the pictures prove it. Lucky you! Love the pictures, love Venice and Rome. and you spelled spaghetti correctly! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete