Last night I went out for supper with the happy couple, Christi and André. I really think they take pity on me and drag me with them. We went to La Hycienda. Going in to the restaurant, the slidding door just quite didn't open all the way and I ran into. No bruise though. Did a bit more Christmas shopping yesterday afternoon. Everyone in Arras was out. I think that they got wind that I was there and they all wanted to see me. Oh ya, they even had police on the sidewalks.....for my protection. It's amazing now when I go out, I see familiar faces. In a few days, it will be 6 months that I'm here. Half my term done. I can't believe how fast it went. I wish I could go back in time because I love it here.
Friday I borrowed the guides vacuum to do my apartment. Well, what I found in the vacuum. It wasn't sucking up so I opened it. Big clumps of hair, popcorn (not sure if it was Orville Redenbacher), a bic pen, pennies, a pop cap. I cleaned it all and it works great. So great that I vacuumed Friday night because I was that excited about having a vacuum and again this afternoon just because I could. I brought it back before supper so the guides can do their house work.
What I've learned here is that you can't come to France and ask for something and when you say, well in Canada you can get this....blah blah blah. They will tell you, well madame, vous n'êtes pas au Canada, well madame, you are not in Canada. Yesterday I went to get a picture developped like we do at walmart and you get it in 3 minutes. My first mistake was saying BONJOUR, then she knew that I was Canadian. I should have just gone to the machine myself. She pretty well explained to me the full function of the machine. I didn't dare say that I had used one before. She seemed to be enjoying her job. Then she said, when do you want to pick it up. I said, like right now. She said, madame, il faut que le processus ce fasse. The process has to be done. I said, well are you open tomorrow. No, it's Sunday. Just then I was going to say, well in Canada, we get them right away. I didn't dare. She kind of scared me. I was getting all nervous. Then she said, well wait one minute, I'll do the process myself. To me, it looked exactly how we do it in Canada. It came out of a machine. 3 minutes later, I had my picture. Then I go into a clothing store. Again I said bonjour, and she automatically started to talk to me in English. She brought me to the changing room, all the way talking in english. I would reply in French and she would go on with the English. I then said, ah votre anglais est tres bon, ah your english is very good. Then she said, well your French is very good also......to that I replied, well that is good because it is my first language. Oh, I forgot to tell that to Christi and André last night.
I bought Christmas cards. No you're probably not going to get one. Anyway, you can't buy a box of Christmas cards here. They come in a package of 4 or 6 and they are expensive. Apparently, it's not something they do much of here. However, I opened the package and it's only half a card. They don't have a front and back. Just the front. So the few of you that will be getting Christmas cards from me (I'd say probably aunts, sister, not sure brother as they are gone to BC, Claudia) so there goes my 6 pack. If you didn't see your name there, I wouldn't wait. If I would have known, I would have brought a box from my place. I have tons.
Just one more week and the guides will be going home. I'm going to miss the little darlings. They are a great group and they worry about me. They'll say, Louise are you OK to drive. It's dark now when we leave. Or they'll say, do you want one of us to drive with you. How can you not want to bring them home with you.
Did I tell you how much I LOVE my dryer. Today I washed all the bed sheets as Bob had slept in all of them and to be able to take them from the washing machine, walk across my kitchen and put them in the dryer with a bounce sheet. Ah the joy I felt. Then to take them out and feel the heat on them and bury my face into them. Such a simple thing but ah, life has been good to me.
Just got an idea while I was blogging. Because you probably won't be getting a Christmas card, I just took a picture of one and consider it your Christmas card. Oh just because it's Christmas, I'll send you two. This is great. You'll get them before Christmas. Ah Canada Post, I won't be needing stamps.
To everyone out there. I wish you health, joy and happiness for the new year. May you be happy and enjoy your time with your family and friends.
Love you all,
Bird
OK, well that was easy. Sorry I couldn't find english cards. I'm also attaching what I received for Christmas from my co-workers. Thank you so much for the lovely presents. Somebody knows I like cats and wine....
This week I have to start packing my suitcase. I'm looking forward to going home and seeing everyone. You've been a great support and I thank you from the bottom of my glass of wine, I mean heart. Judi I, when I opened the 2 coasters, you're the first person I thought of. It's going to feel very weird being home. I think I've become a little bit European. I can't explain it, you just have to live it.
So another nice day gone by. Time to go to bed. I get to sleep in 30 minutes more as I'm working at Vimy tomorrow. So goodnight everyone. Sorry if I haven't blogged everyday but sometimes, I just have nothing to say. I know, that's hard to believe. Arlene, hope you enjoy your trip home. See you when you get back.
Finally caught with your blog. Thanks for the email. Your time in France is just one adventure after another. You might just find work/life back on the Island a bit boring after all the excitement!
ReplyDeleteLife is good in Arizona, but it is time to go home. Hard to believe that Christmas is just 18 days away! I managed to get my shopping done here for the kids. So much to choose from.
Looking forward to seeing you, and Allen. Take care.
Bob's gone and so is Louise....you must be really busy packing....have a safe trip home. Hope I get to see you....
ReplyDelete