I haven't blogged in awhile but with company coming, I had to make sure everything was done and that the place looked good. I did not forget about my fellow readers. As a matter of fact, I believe that I have some new followers from British Columbia and Ontario. Welcome.
To continue my story about having gone to Emergency, I received a paper in the mail saying that I had to go pay within 8 days. So up I walk to the hospital. Same lady at the desk. I said I am here to pay my bill. She looked at me and thought Oh My, she's back. She looked at the papers I had brought plus my letter saying that PEI would pay. Well she didn't like that. Oh you have the wrong paper she said. We will just send you the bill in the mail and you can fix it with your insurance. Then the words I was waiting for.....did you find a doctor. Funny how people don't forget me. Let it be known that I have now the name and phone number of a doctor in Arras.
Sunday my friends Berthe and Claire arrived. I had left the key in an envelope with MY FRIENDS the owners of the Hotel D'Angleterre. I couldn't find scotch tape so I had to put ducktape to seal the envelope. Very classy. I got home and they were there. I knew when I saw them that we would be in for new experiences. Berthe emptied her suitcase in my kitchen as pretty well all the stuff in there was for me. Kraft dinner, peanut butter, cream of mushroom soup, Heinz tomato soup. That is why her suitcase was so heavy.
Tuesday we got on the road to come to Nuremberg (Grosshabersdorf exactly) Germany to visit Mirjam's parents Berthe and Claire, just so you know, they are MY FRIENDS and you are with me. OK, we cleared that. We should have had a sign on the car saying: Classy Crazy Canucks. It first took us 45 minutes to get out of Arras and I live there. Just so you know, I know how to get to work and to Gifi, after that, I cannot be trusted. We stopped to asked directions and in France they all say TOUT DROIT, go straight. Well we went tout droit but still got lost. No we do not travel with maps or GPS. Finally 45 minutes later we're out of Arras. Claire is driving, Berthe is looking at the book that I wrote how to get to Claudia and Werner's and I am sitting in the back with their 2 packsacks our picnic basket and only a tiny little space to sit. I felt neglected but I didn't want to say anything in case they asked me to drive. So I sat there like little orphan Annie and just answered questions when I was asked. OK it wasn't quite like that but I did sit in the back in a small space. So we drive and drive and decided to have out picnic. We had chicken, ham, nothing but the best for these girls. We kind of took a wrong turn and ended up in Heidelburg (not the right spelling but it sounds like that). We were lost. We found the police station and thought ah, they can tell us where to go. I'm sure they wanted to tell us where to go but with 3 Acadian French Girls all menopausal, they didn't stand a chance. First they did not speak English and second they were not from there so we left poor Claire parked in front of the police station and Berthe and I went looking for directions. Claire knew she was not suppose to be parked there so she did not want to make eye contact with anyone. Berthe and I relaxed in a bakery, looked around, asked people, nobody understood anybody but we did not panic while Claire was pretty well doing her rosery. We finally found this man in a workshop in the industrial part of the city and he was able to tell us how to get on the Autobaun. All while driving I was telling Berthe, oh look how nice that is, Claire you can't look, you're driving. Ah look at this Berthe, Claire just concentrate on the road, you can look at things when Berthe drives. All of a sudden we're on the Autobaun, in a tiny car, with hundreds of big trucks on one side and cars zooming at 200 km on the other side. This was not good for my nerves. Then it became dark and I couldn't see. Of course I wasn't driving but I had a sore neck from looking back to see if any cars were behind us. Oh the things I do for my friends. We get off the Autobaun to get gas which by the way was my responsibility because the 2 princesses do not like to touch the gas pump. I, being brave and a mature standard driver, can pump gas. Nothing is impossible now for me. Berthe and Claire changed positions but poor little me, stayed in my little tiny seat and off we go again. Back on the Autobaun. Heavy traffic, an accident and we were going 20 km an hour. That's fast enough. We did this for about one hour. I was quite comfortable at that speed. I really don't know what the other two were complaining about.
How we made it here, we are not sure but with the directions that Werner gave us, did it. Claire and Berthe would ask me, is it this way, and I would say, well it looks familiar, it could be, but I'm not sure however when we made it to Grosshabersdorf, I brought them exactly to the right house, in the dark. We were welcomed by Claudia and Werner, my friends, where we had a nice bowl of hot pumpkin soup and salad and a nice bottle of wine. Just remember everyone, I knew them first and you have to go through me to get to them.
The funniest day was yesterday but you'll have to wait until tomorrow. We are going out for supper and I must look my best. Won't be me, I woke up with 2 cold sores. Must be the stress of having to figure out how to get here. However, we are having a blast. I could not ask for funniest girls to travel with and nicest hosts. I am blessed, but wait until you hear part 2
Glad you made it to Germany sage and sound, cold sores and all. Heidelberg? Gordon and I spent 2 days there a few winters ago. It was a nice town. Looking forward to installment #2. Keep it coming! Nos salutations à Claudia.
ReplyDeleteIt gets funnier every time Loulou! I know there is movie potential there and I have connections with a very good videographer ;)
ReplyDeleteCan't wait for part deux!