Friday, 7 October 2011

Expensive or what...

Well I am recovering from my strepthroat and doing well. I think that the doctor gave me these individual powder anti-biotics just because it tastes so bad. She wants to make sure that I don't go there again. If nothing else, I've learned 2 important things while living in France. You do NOT go to the hospital and you do NOT get curtains hemmed.

I've been here close to 4 months and for 4 months I did not have curtains in my bedrooms upstairs. I've had towels hanging, sweaters hanging, eh you do what you can when you can't find what you want. Finally, I gave in and bought 2 curtains. It's 1 panel per package and they were 10 euros each. What a bargain. Brown, cotton yep, cut them in two and I have 4 curtains. Each bedroom has 2 windows but they are roof windows so it's hard to find something that fits. What a brainwave I had, buy panels, cut and voila...You have to know that drapes here are the lenght of the ceiling to the floor. So here I go with my curtains to the seamstress. I couldn't wait to finally have drapes, plus I had company coming so I was very excited. I told the seamstress, just cut the little thingy on top because I'm going to put a rod, make a seam on top, hem the bottom and there I have 4 curtains. I thought it was pretty easy. I debated doing it by hand but I figured, ha I'll just bring it to the seamstress and it will be done in a jiffy. Wednesday I go pick them up because I was off. The lady said, ah vous etes ici pour vos rideaux, you are here for your drapes. Oh the excitment in my voice when I said, oh oui, ca fait longtemps que j'attends pour finalement avoir des rideaux dans mes chambres. Oh yes, I've waited so long to finally have drapes in my bedrooms. She had a nice smile, so friendly, so je ne sais quoi. Then, it happened, she said 70 euros s'il vous plait. 70 euros please. From the time it took my brain to realize the price, I had paid and was standing outside on the sidewalk. What had just happened. Well I got home, don't remember much of the walk. Sat on the couch and I was speechless. My 20 euros drapes had just cost me 70 euros extra. I put them up and sat on the bed and thought, OK, she must have used gold thread. I figured well for the price, I might as well look at them all night.

Next morning, I was still admiring my drapes, trying to dress them up so they wouldn't be these plain, cotton brown drapes. There must be a mistake. Now remember, I was sick and the antibiotics must have had an effect on me. I couldn't have paid 70 euros. That's a purse, jeans, shoes etc, but not a hem. I had to go to the drugstore to pick up something (what I should have picked up was more drugs. Who in their right mind would pay that). There had to be a mistake. So I pretty well dragged myself to the drugstore and the seamstress is very close by. I go in and the same lady with the nice smile and so friendly says, oh madame vous aimez vos rideaux. You like your drapes. I said yes very much but can you please explain the cost to me. She says, usually we tell our clients how much it costs and then they can decide if they want it done or not but I'm so sorry, I forgot to tell you. FORGOT to tell me, you pretty well gave me a heart attack. Couldn't you see me grasping for air and turning purple. Anyway, what's done is done. 6 euros a meter. I could make money buying a used sewing machine on EBay and making hems. No she didn't give me any money back and my drapes are hanging and everyone once in a while, I go and touch them and I feel them and think, darn I could have gotten a new purse.

Today also, I put fuel in the car for the 1st time. First I parked too far, then the fuel thing was on the wrong side, then I couldn't open the fuel thing so I asked a guy that was fueling beside me. I figured that he would know, it's a man thing. He didn't so I had to make a phone call. After appropriate directions, I was able to open it. Then the hose was long, well very long but also very springy. It sprang while I was trying to put it in the hole. I bounced but held on to it with dear life. It all worked out. I was tempted to go through the car wash but I figured, no I'll save that for another day. I had previously tried 4 times at a different car wash but couldn't get the wheel in the right place. But I'm getting better with practice.

Time to call it a night. Happy Thanksgiving everyone and I'm thankful that I have you all in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment